Hancock ParkHancock Park is an established neighborhood steeped in Los Angeles history. Once home to illustrious names like Howard Hughes, Mae West, and Nat King Cole, this enclave attracts the best and the brightest. Find out what makes Hancock Park so appealing to LA’s elite.
Overview of Hancock ParkLocated in Central Los Angeles, the neighborhood is bounded by Melrose Avenue to the north, Wilshire Boulevard to the south, North and South Rossmore Avenue to the east, and North and South Highland Avenue to the west. It is surrounded by the neighborhoods of Melrose, La Brea, and Fremont Place. Hancock Park is best known for historic homes situated on landscaped lots. It evokes old Hollywood glamor with 1920s architecture and a long list of famous residents. It is also a highly urbanized neighborhood with Wilshire Boulevard, getting lots of traffic and commercial activity. This neighborhood is ideal for buyers who love action, history, and excitement. Once part of Rancho La Brea, the neighborhood gets its name from Major Henry Hancock, who purchased the land that now makes up present day Hancock Park in 1863. His son, G. Allan Hancock, developed the land into a residential subdivision in the 1920s.
Hancock Park real estateData from the homeowners association (HOA), show there are little more than 1,200 homes in the neighborhood, making it one of the more exclusive areas in Central LA. Hancock Park, CA homes for sale come in an array of architectural styles, including Mediterranean, Italianate, Modern, and Contemporary. The most coveted homes in the neighborhood feature outdoor pools, landscaped grounds, and spacious driveways. The City Council established the Hancock Park Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ) in 2008. The historic area harbors Tudor, Spanish, English, and Colonial Revival-style homes that date back to the Jazz Age. The HPOZ is bounded by Melrose Avenue to the north, Rossmore Avenue to the east, Highland Avenue to the west, and Wilshire Boulevard to the south. Residents can send their children to the following schools in and around the neighborhood:
- Hancock Elementary School
- Larchmont Charter School
- King/Drew Medical Magnet High School
- Renaissance Arts Academy
- KIPP Iluminar Academy
- KIPP Raices Academy
- Math & Science College Preparatory
- KIPP Comienza Community Prep
- WISH Community School
Living in Hancock ParkResidents enjoy a vibrant lifestyle with access to shops, restaurants, and cultural venues:
- The Grove is a popular shopping mall with major brands and retailers like Barnes & Noble, Charlotte Tilbury, Coach, GAP, and Brandy Melville. Visitors can catch the latest box office hits at the AMC Theaters or enjoy a meal at casual restaurants like Umami Burger, The Cheesecake Factory, and Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) is one of the most esteemed museums in the United States. It hosts rotating exhibits featuring American, Mexican, and Chinese art. Visitors can attend a wide range of cultural programs and art events.
- Original Farmer’s Market LA (FMLA) features a wide range of vendors selling fresh produce, flowers, pasta, and apparel.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.